Who are Barkened?
Hello, we’re Emma & Rob and we are proud to run a small lifestyle shop in Deal, Kent called Barkened. We design and handcraft our own goods and support other independent makers, to bring you unique and thoughtful products that are focussed around people, dogs and homes.
We have a passion for things that are simple, functional and made to last. Care to the environment sits at the heart of our design and production process for both own brand and partner products.
Our Barkened goods
All Barkened own brand goods are handcrafted using traditional craftsmanship techniques in our workshop in Deal, Kent and with small family run manufacturers across the British Isles.
- Our leather is full grain vegetable tanned, carefully sourced from a small consortium of Tuscan tanners who have a shared passion for the leather’s quality and its impact on the environment
- Our metal hardware is made and tumbled by a British foundry
- Whenever possible we use Organic or Oeko-Tex textiles which are certified free of harmful chemicals and are produced according to strict guidelines as well as end of line materials that would otherwise go to landfill
Our carefully chosen makers
We are privileged to work with makers who share our values. Many of the brands we sell have strong ethics and a good purpose behind their business. For example:
- Insane in the Rain coats are made from plastic bottles from the sea helping to clean our seas from harmful waste
- Goodwash is a social enterprise whose profits help improve the lives of people and animals
Together we have a thoughtful approach to buying, which is buying fewer, well-considered goods that have been made to last and be loved for many years.
Our love of traditional craftsmanship is something that we believe should be shared. Beginning in the Spring 2020, we will host a range of workshops for up to 6 people across our people, dog and home themes:
- Leather – learn the craft of leather with belt making, dog collars and handbags
- Natural textiles dying – learn to create sustainable non-toxic dyes from plant materials
- Dog nutrition and treat making
Sign up to our monthly newsletter to keep up to date on our workshops or if you are a maker that would like to get in touch email firstname.lastname@example.org